LAS VEGAS PEST CONTROL INFORMATION
Did You Know..?
- For every person on the earth, there are two hundred million insects. One square mile of rural land can hold more insects than there are human beings on Earth.
- The life span of a queen termite can be as long as 50 years. Although on average her life span is closer to 15 years.
- Scorpions can actually rotate their stingers a full 360 degrees.
- One female cockroach can produce up to two million offspring in one year. The average breeding session produces around 35,000 offspring.
- Adult bed bugs have been known to go up to 550 days without food.
- Cicadas are the only bug on the planet that sweats, allowing them to survive the hottest of summer days.
- Only three kinds of creatures fight battles in formations: humans, crows and ants.
- During the average lifetime, a person consumes about seventy insects and ten spiders during their sleep. According to some sources, beetles have a taste that is similar to apples while wasps taste like pine nuts.
- A dying yellow jacket releases a pheromone that alerts others when it is in trouble. In less than 15 seconds any yellow jackets within a 15-foot radius will rally to the victim's aid. So don't kill a yellow jacket near the nest.
- Some wasps sleep (and even hibernate for months) while hanging by their teeth.
- The exoskeleton of a scorpion is made of the polysaccharide, chitin that reflects back ultraviolet rays and will glow pink or green under a black light. Fossilized scorpions still glow under ultraviolet light even after 300 million years.
- Bees are capable of seeing ultraviolet light which is invisible to humans.
- Scientists have recently discovered that insects such as cockroaches and honeybees make collective decisions and use voting and quorums to help decide where to make their next home.
- One Species of moth lives entirely on cow tears.
- A female house mouse gives birth to 6 young approximately 19 days after mating and two days later is ready to mate again. She can produce between 6 and 10 litters a year and each of her young are ready to mate within two months of birth. If you do the math, two mice that start to breeding on January 1st could theoretically have as many as 31,000 descendants by December 31st.
- A cockroach’s head will live and respond for at least 12 hours after the animal has been decapitated.
- A cockroach's body can live a week without its head. The roach only dies because without a mouth, it can't drink water and dies of thirst.
- The song of the field cricket is dependent upon the temperature; the tone and tempo drop with the decrease in temperature. If you count the number of chirps in a 15 second span and add 37, you will have the approximate temperature in degrees.
- Certain types of grasshoppers and crickets have their ears on their front legs.
- Female aphids produce young without mating. Eggs develop into small daughters inside of the mother; and at the same time inside each daughter, eggs are also beginning to develop. When the mother gives birth to her daughters, her granddaughters are already on the way.
- There are more beetles than any other animal. In fact, one out of every four animals is a beetle.
- The combined weight of all Americans is less than one fiftieth of the insects, earthworms, and spiders just in the United States alone.
- Citronella does not repel mosquitoes through its smell. Mosquitoes dislike citronella because it irritates their feet.
- Dragonflies are capable of flying sixty miles per hour, making them one of the fastest insects. This is good since they are in a big hurry, as they only live about twenty-four hours.
- Mosquitoes, who can carry diseases such as Malaria and West Nile virus, have killed more humans than all the wars in history.
Home · Service Specials · General Pest Control · Pigeon Control · Scorpion Treatments · Bee & Hive Removal · German Roach Flush Outs · Bed Bug Treatments · Rodent Control · Termite Inspections · Pest Database · Did You Know? · Frequently Asked ?s · Suggested Links